It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas! Here are a few helpful hints for pet-proofing your holiday decorations and keeping your furry friends safe this holiday season.

  • Keep any exposed electric cords from holiday lights out of reach from your pet. This helps prevent your pets from chewing on them, which can cause electrical shock.
  • Place burning candles out of your pet’s way to protect your pet from knocking them over and creating a fire hazard. Or, consider using flameless candles.
  • Cover your tree’s water receptacle or hide the basin underneath the tree skirt. Stagnant tree water can contain dangerous bacteria that can harm pets if ingested.
  • Avoid decorating with shiny tinsel, which is attractive to curious pets and if swallowed, cause serious intestinal blockage.
  • Be conscientious of decorating with seasonal plants such as mistletoe, holly, and poinsettias which can cause your pet to get sick if ingested.