Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, and one of the most popular treats this time of year, chocolate, is dangerous for dogs and cats. Chocolate contains caffeine and the chemical theobromine, which are both toxic to dogs and cats. If ingested, your pet may experience nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity and seizures. There are different levels of theobromine in the varieties of chocolate and the darker and more bitter the chocolate, the more harmful it is. For example baking chocolate contains higher levels of theobromine than milk chocolate, therefore it is more toxic to pets. Chocolate toxicity is based on the type of chocolate, the amount consumed, and your pet’s weight. Because chocolate is dangerous for pets, it’s important to make sure that it is not left unattended and is stored out of your pet’s reach. If you think your pet has ingested chocolate and they are exhibiting symptoms of vomiting, diarrhea, pacing, shaking and hyperactivity, contact your veterinarian immediately. It’s helpful if you can share the type and amount of quantity of chocolate that was consumed and your pet’s weight. This helps your vet determine what type of treatment may be necessary.