National Puppy Day is March 23rd. To gear up for the celebration, here are some interesting facts about puppies.

  • When puppies are first born, they spend about 90 percent of the time sleeping and the remaining 10 percent suckling, according to Purdue University College of Veterinary Medicine. This gradually decreases until they sleep 18 to 20 hours a day during their rapid growth phase.
  • Newborn puppies are born blind and their eyelids remain closed for the first 10 to 16 days of life. They are also born deaf and toothless. When a puppy is 4 to 8 weeks of age they will develop 28 deciduous (baby) teeth. At 4 to 7 months of age, the deciduous teeth will fall out and be replaced with their 42 permanent teeth.
  • The first sense that puppies begin to use is their sense of touch.
  • Puppies reach their full size between 12 to 24 months and smaller dog breeds mature faster than larger ones.
  • Puppies are born with a single coat or fur. Between 4 to 6 months of age, most puppies shed and grow their adult coat. This can depend on the puppy’s breed, health and climate.
  • According to Guinness World Records, the record for the largest litter of puppies is 24, born to a Neapolitan Mastiff in 2004.