Pet Fire Safety

/, Pet Health/Pet Fire Safety

Pet Fire Safety

Pet Fire Safety Day is July 15th and is a good reminder to be proactive about steps you can take to prevent your pet from accidentally starting a fire. It is also a good time to create a plan to keep pets safe in case of a fire.

Prevention:

  • Secure electrical cords and keep them out of reach from your pets. Frayed electrical wires can cause house fires, and pets that chew on these cords can suffer from severe injuries.
  • Never leave your pet unattended near open flames from the grill, stove, or fireplace. Candles can also be dangerous if your pet accidentally knocks them over so you may want to consider flameless candles as a safer alternative.
  • According to the National Fire Protection Association, a stove or cook top is the number one piece of equipment involved in your pet starting a fire. To prevent this, put childproof covers on the stove knobs or remove them before leaving the house.

Planning:

  • Place a pet alert window sticker on your front window or door identifying how many pets you have at home. This helps firefighters rescue your pets in an emergency.
  • Create an emergency kit for your pet that includes their leash, food and any necessary medications and store it in a readily available location.
  • Familiarize yourself with the location of the nearest pet emergency hospital so you know where to take your pet if they suffer injuries from a fire. 
2019-07-15T13:59:03-04:00