The summer travel season is upon us and if you are planning on bringing your furry family members along, consider these tips for a safe and relaxing pet-friendly vacation.
- Make sure your pet is healthy enough and has the right temperament for traveling. Schedule a visit to your veterinarian prior to your vacation for a wellness checkup to ensure your pet is in good health and is up to date on their vaccinations. It is also a good time to obtain a copy of your pet’s health records to take with you on your trip.
- If you’re driving to your destination, make sure your pet is comfortable in the car by taking some shorter rides to acclimate them to a moving vehicle. Keep your pets safe and secure in the car by using a pet crate, carrier or a harness. To reduce motion sickness, lower the car windows and keep the inside temperature cool. On the day of your trip, limit your pet’s food and water before travel.
- If you’re flying to your destination, talk to your veterinarian about whether or not air travel is appropriate for your pet. Then, contact the airline to find out their pet travel policies, fees, and what documents you will need.
- When booking accommodations, make sure the hotel or rental home is pet-friendly. Websites such as PetsWelcome.com, GoPetFriendly.com and BringFido.com offer many listings of pet-friendly properties across the country.
- Make sure your pet’s packing list includes: food, water, bowls, veterinary records, medication, leash, collar with an up to date tag, pet carrier, bedding, treats, waste pickup bags, pet first aid kit, and their favorite toys.